Colour: Yellow over black wings
1924 Delaunay-Belleville 10-12hp four-seat tourer - for completion of the restoration which has been started
Registration No. 1203 FJ75 (French)
Engine: four cylinder, 2.6 litres; Gearbox: four speed manual; Suspension: front and rear, semi-elliptic leaf spring; Brakes: two wheel drum. Left hand drive
Offered as the 10hp four-cylinder, this model was undoubtedly the most expensive voiturette on the market
Purchased as a non-runner by the vendor approximately 14 years ago from the late Andrew Booth at Orchid Cars at Amesbury
Recently resprayed, the car is for completion of the restoration
Click on any photo to start a slide show
Weather proof storage for this car is as seen, but the owner is feeling obliged to vacate this huge barn and sell this car, due to the host farmer’s desire to clear his barn, relating to his advancing age.
Hood frame being repaired. Lovely Bleriot lamps. Tool tray in the rear compartment
The lovely French poster advert listed reads:-
“A really light fast car that can receive any open or closed solid bodywork and has perfect mechanics…”
"A quality car" : Delaunay-Belleville - 1904-1948 - short history
42 Avenue de Champs-Elysee, PARIS. Tel : Elysee 30-50
Originally the Belleville firm made boilers for locomotives and ships, the Delaunay-Belleville firm formed in the late 1860s when Louis Delaunay (1844-1912 – aged 68) – a naval engineer - married Belleville’s daughter. The firm supplied Dreadnought boilers to the Admiralty amongst other clients, numbering 1000 employees in 1900. Their attention was drawn to the market to sell automobiles, forming a separate car division in September 1903, producing their first quality motor car at the Paris Salon in December 1904. Quality was their by-word, car design by a former Clement and Benz engineer Marius Barberou. Starting straight in to the market with a 4-cylinder – bear in mind single and twin cylinder cars were still the norm in 1904 – these were T-head separately-cast cylinders, combined with 4-speed gearboxes and chain drive. In early Edwardian times they built anything from a 2564cc 10hp six to a 70hp six of 11,840cc from 1909 to 1911.
Characterised by their familiar round radiators and bonnets, the design must have been influenced by the company’s boiler-making tradition.
In Edwardian times, Delaunay-Belleville were pre-eminent among European car makers such as Hispano-Suiza, Isotta-Fraschini and Rolls-Royce – all hyphenated makes - but by the post-war period both Delauney and Barbarou had left the company which was never to regain the prestige it once held.
Call 07973 731508