Transmission: Manual 4-speed
Chassis Number: 930
Engine Number: 914
1925 W O Bentley 3-litre Four-Seat Tourer by Gurney Nutting
ALL MATCHING NUMBERS Blue Label WO Bentley, original body
Original UK registration number recently re-united to the car - ticks all boxes
Recent £25,993 improvement expenditure
Retains original coachwork, along with most of its other numbered parts : Gearbox, Steering Box, Back Axle, Bonnet.
Chassis number 930
Engine Number 914
Steering Box 926
Built in three main specifications, all with 5-year warranties, the 3-litre WO Bentley was offered as a Blue Label, Red Label and Speed variants, and the rarer but tuned Green Label carried a 12 month warranty.
Click on any photo to start a slide show
This particular car is something of a rarity in Bentley circles, having retained its original chassis, engine and body. Clare Hay's authoritative work, Bentley, The Vintage Years, records the fact that number '930' was completed in February 1925 on the 10' 10" wheelbase 'long standard' chassis with engine number '914' and four-seat coachwork by Gurney Nutting.
Introduced at the 1919 London Motor Show, the first 3-litre customer took delivery in September 1921. From the end of 1925 the three litre ran alongside the 4 ½-litre until production ceased in 1929. All in all 1088 three litre cars were built, this car being number 930, delivered in February 1925 with Gurney Nutting Four Seat Tourer coachwork.
At a time when the side valve engine was particularly prevalent, the 3-litre Bentley featured a rather advanced 4-cylinder engine - actually designed by Clive Gallop - with 4 valves per cylinder, an overhead camshaft and dry-sump lubrication - important features to marketing people of modern cars even today.
This Blue Label standard variant has a 10’10” wheelbase which provides a very comfortable ride on today’s roads, especially on 6.00 x 20” tyres, the engine providing brisk performance, well able to cope with modern conditions.
To be closer to their discerning clientele, in 1923 already established J Gurney Nutting & Co coachbuilders moved to Chelsea to Elystan Street, just off the King’s Road. Amongst others, customers for Gurney Nutting bodied motor cars were the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII, as well as the future King George VI and their younger brother, Prince George, Duke of Kent.
Chassis 930 spent a number of years in America from 1956, having previously been owned in 1948 by none other than Dorset Aston Martin specialist Captain Ivan Forshaw. This car came back to the UK in 2014 and was subsequently purchased by existing clients of mine in Austria
WORK COMPLETED by the present owner :
Importantly - original CR 9914 UK registration recently re-acquired after 62 years
Improved considerably in the last 2 years by the present fastidious owner, £25,993 has been lavished on this car to include :
- a new exhaust system in January 2018
- new clutch, installation of direction indicators & new inner tubes in February 2018
– main ignition switch restored in March 2018
- new Wefco leather spring gaiters in May 2018
– engine refresh with new valves, valve guides, magneto service and new +040” pistons, this engine having seen very little wear in 95 years, work completed in October 2018
– brakes relined, SU carburettors tuned in June 2019
The above work was mainly carried out by WO Bentley experts Kingsbury Racing, based at Bicester Heritage
My client has a number of high quality vintage cars but, like most collectors, only has a certain amount of motor housing. Having improved this car to his satisfaction, he now wishes to explore the improvement of another motor car in his collection.
This is a comparatively rare opportunity to acquire an all-matching number vintage W O Bentley
Call 07973 731508