1928 Invicta 3-litre High Chassis Cadogan Tourer - 71,000 miles since 1928 - Engine rebuilt

Transmission: 4-Speed Manual

Chassis Number: VC212

Engine Number: 6704

Colour: Black

1928 Invicta 3-litre High Chassis Cadogan bodied Tourer - please enquire

70,825 LOW MILEAGE from 1928…  today the speedometer reads a documented 70,825 miles from new

Extraordinarily light steering and willing performance on a new higher ratio final drive crown wheel and pinion.

This 3-litre straight six Invicta is probably a better car than a 3-litre Bentley - and far less expensive

Owned for 58 years from 1947 to 2004 by Captain Ivan Forshaw (**see below) , late of Aston Service Dorset, based in Longham on the edge of Poole, Dorset. In 2006 Roger Forshaw stated that his father had rebuilt the car in 1947 and changed the colour from Green to Black – as illustrated on the RF60 Log Book shown here

Used from 1947 to 1949 in the Captain’s ownership, the advert to sell his car declared that it was last used in 1949. His business took off and he had little time for the Invicta. After storing the car for 56 years in Poole, Captain Forshaw finally sold this car in 2004 to a Richard Walpole

By May 2005 the late William Plair purchased this car. He had deep pockets to have some serious work carried out on this car and embarked on a hugely expensive restoration programme to include a £28,692 engine rebuild with the late Derek Green’s Cedar Classic Cars.

New brakes were also fitted, a Jess Dilley radiator rebuild, re-wiring, new tonneau, new hood, and new side screens. The wire wheels were also re-built with new spokes.

The last diary of work carried out for William Plair was in 2013 when we believe the car was purchased by VSCC Frazer Nash member John Sheard – for whom I sold the car to the present owner in 2018.

Today my client has recently purchased a vintage Sunbeam and so this Invicta is now for sale, having recently been driven from his home in Paris to the channel crossing ferry and back to the UK where he also resides.

The car is here ready for any inspection and test drive.

Click on any photo to enlarge + slide show

__________________________________________

WORK LISTED IN BRIEF :-

Current owner since 2018

Engine & clutch rebuilt by the late Derek Green’s Cedar Classic Cars - the Invicta & Lagonda specialist at Hartley Wintney - in 2007. Refitted in 2008 – crankshaft of course crack tested and hardened valve seats fitted, and including new cylinder liners.

£28,692 total cost of 2008 engine & clutch rebuild at Cedar Classic Cars

Radiator re-cored by Jess Dilley in 2009

Rewired 2005

Simms Magneto totally restored & rebuilt at Vintage Magnetos £622.90 at Bicester Heritage - May 2019

Wheels re-spoked and rebuilt in 2009

New Side-screens in 2012

New hazard lights fitted 2012

Uprated to higher rear axle ratio of 3.56:1 in March 2016 with parts from Guest Gear Services, this gives tractable performance in all gears and much longer legs for higher touring speeds.

The result is this car will now cruise in a relaxed manner on today’s roads

New Mohair hood, hood frame refreshed, and new tonneau cover and hood bag 2017

New battery April 2021

Dual ignition - runs on coil and magneto in 12 plug cylinder head

This Invicta has strong comfortable suspension and corners with no appreciable roll and so can be driven with confidence - in sporting style.

_________________________________________________________________________

Invicta GLOBAL history - around the world in 5-months

Invicta was based at Cobham from 1925 until 1933 and founded by Noel Macklin and Oliver Lyle of Tate and Lyle, the sugar manufacturers, Lyle providing the necessary finance. Their aim was to produce an upmarket car capable of sporting performance with ample torque to acquire speed from low speed in top gear, making roundabouts more of a pleasure than an inconvenience - remaining in top gear throughout - still a pleasure and a surprise to modern cars today!

With half-elliptic springs all-round, two chassis lengths were offered, the SC of 9'4" and the longer LC chassis such as we offer today of 10', with choice of coachwork. From 1926 the Meadows 2-1/2 litre straight six overhead valve engine was enlarged to 3-litres, and to 4-1/2-litres towards the end of 1928.

QUITE AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR the 3-litre INVICTA model offered today !

The real hero of the Invicta story is that of Violette Cordery, sister-in-law to company founder Noel Macklin. Violette drove a 3-litre Invicta right around the world in 1927 - inside 5 months ! 4-up, Violette Cordery was accompanied by an RAC observer, a mechanic and an all-important nurse. 10,266 miles were driven in 5 months, travelling through Europe, Australia, Africa, India, Canada and the United States of America.

The year before, in 1926, Violette Cordery and a team of 6 drivers set up a number of records in a 3-litre Invicta at Monza, the Italian grand prix track. 10,000 miles at 56.47 mph for one, followed by 15,000 miles at 55.76 mph. Supervised by an RAC observer, the same year at the banked circuit at Montlhery near Paris 5000 miles were covered at an amazing 70.7 mph in 70 hours of continuous day and night driving...what a lady!

Later in 1929 Violette drove 30,000 miles in 30,000 minutes at Brooklands, averaging 61.57 mph.

_________________________________________________________________________

Car production ended in 1935 when Macklin went on to found Railton Cars, and from 1939 in WWII he founded Fairmile Marine & built the Fairmile class of ML, MGB Gun Boats and MTB Motor Torpedo Boats - each equipped with 3 Rolls-Royce Merlin 24-litre engines!

_________________________________________________________________________

**Captain Ivan Forshaw - long term owner of this Invicta

After the WWII where he served in North Africa and Italy, the Captain specialised in pre-war Lagondas, acting as spares registrar and technical adviser to the Lagonda Club.

David Brown purchased the bankrupt Aston Martin and Lagonda marques in 1947 and commenced producing the DB2, leading on to the DB3, DB4, DB5 and DB6 series of top end sports and racing cars, immortalised in 1964 with the famed DB5 that appeared in the Goldfinger James Bond film. All inquiries for Lagonda cars were passed on to Captain Forshaw. In time David Brown agreed that Captain Forshaw should take on servicing, repairs and parts for Aston Martin cars.

In 1970 David Brown offered Capt Forshaw the rights to re-manufacture parts for Aston Martin and Lagonda cars up to 1962. With his two sons Richard and Roger as partners, they built up a worldwide reputation for the parts market for Aston Martin and Lagonda cars, which is still prospering today with Roger, James and Anthony now at the helm.

____________________

Although we attempt to ensure accuracy of any statement or detail, the customer must make his or her own judgement in purchasing this car. The purchaser of the above car understands that he or she is purchasing a historic motor car with components that are up to 94 years old and sold as a collector item. There is no warranty given or implied due to the age of the car.

Please Enquire

Enquire

Call 07973 731508