Transmission: 4-Speed Manual
Chassis Number: LC212
Engine Number: 6704
Colour: Dark Blue
1928 Invicta 3-litre High Chassis Cadogan Tourer - original matching numbers car, with original paint and body
LOW MILEAGE : 67,800 miles registered !
Little used and owned for 58 years from 1946 to 2004 by Captain Ivan Forshaw (**see below) , late of Aston Service Dorset, based in Longham on the edge of Poole, Dorset. In 2006 Roger Forshaw stated that his father had rebuilt the car in 1946.
Click on any photo to enlarge + slide show
Current owner since 2014
Engine & clutch rebuilt by Derek Green at Cedar Antiques - at the Invicta & Lagonda specialist at Hartley Wintney - in 2007. Refitted in 2008
Radiator re-cored by Jess Dilley in 2009
Wheels re-spoked and rebuilt in 2009
New Side-screens in 2012
New hazard lights fitted 2012
Uprated to higher rear axle ratio of 3.56:1 in March 2016 with parts from Guest Gear Services, this gives tractable performance in all gears and much longer legs for higher touring speeds. The original 4.5:1 ratio goes with the car.
New Mohair hood, hood frame refreshed, and new tonneau cover and hood bag 2017
New battery 2017
Dual ignition - runs on coil and magneto
This car has excellent torque and benefits considerably from the new 3.56:1 higher back axle ratio on today's roads, the smooth 6-cylinder engine running freely and quietly. This Invicta has strong comfortable suspension and corners with no appreciable roll and so can be driven with confidence - in sporting style!
Invicta was based at Cobham from 1925 until 1933 and founded by Noel Macklin and Oliver Lyle of Tate and Lyle, the sugar manufacturers, Lyle providing the necessary finance. Their aim was to produce an upmarket car capable of sporting performance with ample torque to acquire speed from low speed in top gear, making roundabouts more of a pleasure than an inconvenience - remaining in top gear throughout - still a pleasure and a surprise to modern cars today!
With half-elliptic springs all-round, two chassis lengths were offered, the SC of 9'4" and the longer LC chassis such as we offer today of 10', with choice of coachwork. From 1926 the Meadows 2-1/2 litre straight six overhead valve engine was enlarged to 3-litres, and to 4-1/2-litres towards the end of 1928.
QUITE AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR the 3-litre INVICTA model offered today !
The real hero of the Invicta story is that of Violette Cordery, sister-in-law to company founder Noel Macklin. Violette drove a 3-litre Invicta right around the world in 1927 - inside 5 months ! 4-up, Violette Cordery was accompanied by an RAC observer, a mechanic and an all-important nurse. 10,266 miles were driven in 5 months, travelling through Europe, Australia, Africa, India, Canada and the United States of America.
The year before, in 1926, Violette Cordery and a team of 6 drivers set up a number of records in a 3-litre Invicta at Monza, the Italian grand prix track. 10,000 miles at 56.47 mph for one, followed by 15,000 miles at 55.76 mph. Supervised by an RAC observer, the same year at the banked circuit at Montlhery near Paris 5000 miles were covered at an amazing 70.7 mph in 70 hours of continuous day and night driving...what a lady!
Later in 1929 Violette drove 30,000 miles in 30,000 minutes at Brooklands, averaging 61.57 mph.
Car production ended in 1935 when Macklin went on to found Railton Cars, and from 1939 in WWII he founded Fairmile Marine & built the Fairmile class of ML, MGB Gun Boats and MTB Motor Torpedo Boats ....each equipped with 3 Rolls-Royce Merlin 24-litre engines...
**Captain Ivan Forshaw - long term owner of this Invicta
After the WWII where he served in North Africa and Italy, the Captain specialised in pre-war Lagondas, acting as spares registrar and technical adviser to the Lagonda Club.
David Brown purchased the bankrupt Aston Martin and Lagonda marques in 1947 and commenced producing the DB2, leading on to the DB3, DB4, DB5 and DB6 series of top end sports and racing cars, immortalised in 1964 with the famed DB5 that appeared in the Goldfinger James Bond film. All inquiries for Lagonda cars were passed on to Capt Forshaw. In time David Brown agreed that Capt Forshaw should take on servicing, repairs and parts for Aston Martin cars.
In 1970 David Brown offered Capt Forshaw the rights to re-manufacture parts for Aston Martin and Lagonda cars up to 1962. With his two sons Richard and Roger as partners, they built up a worldwide reputation for the parts market for Aston Martin and Lagonda cars, which is still prospering today with Roger, James and Anthony now at the helm.
Call 07973 731508