Chassis Number: W88
1946 HRG 1500
One owner since 1964.
First time offered for sale in 57 years
Please see short You Tube video of the engine running here with 40psi oil pressure :- https://youtu.be/caqOh0OxSl8
Vast history file detailing every single job carried out on this car running into several files
Spares available by negotiation
Details as follows:-
Chassis No. W88
UK registration number: HXD 506
First registered: 25th November 1946
Engine number: C 206 Q (Capacity: 1496 cc)
Gearbox number: C 108 Q
Rear axle number: HRG 51
Coachwork by REALL Summary
W 88 was the 1st post-war built standard bodied ”1500” H.R.G sports car and one of only 3 built that year. The immediate post-war built chassis numbers preceding it being “Aerodynamic” models or “1100” models. It is one of only 111 “1500” models (99 long stroke engine and 12 short stroke) produced from 1946 to 1956.
It has always been maintained in its original form and represents an early post war, standard bodied, “1500” car retaining many original parts and authentic layout.
At some time the original engine recorded by the Works, C 108 Q, was changed for the current engine, C 206 Q, which was originally fitted to another 1948 built H.R.G “1500”. This was not uncommon practice and many engines, gearboxes and axles have been swapped around in period. It has also been confirmed by the HRG Association Patron and historian. The engine specification is the same as the original, being an H.R.G improved and prepared engine and is not the basic Singer engine.
W 88 has been cared for by the current owner since he purchased it in 1964 and is now offered for sale after 57 years.
The owner has carried out much work, including more recently, fitting a newly manufactured high-lift camshaft and improved exhaust manifold.
Brief Technical specification of W 88
Summary Ownership History of W 88
W 88 was built in 1946 and first registered on 25th November 1946.
Unusual for an H.R.G, it has not had a competition history.
The well-known historic car dealer Dan Margulies, of central London, sold the W88 to Sgt Tutty in August 1961. Tutty sold the car on to Chiltern Cars of Leighton Buzzard in 1964. The current owner purchased the car from Chiltern Cars in Leighton Buzzard in November 1964.
W 88 retains its features of the early post-war built cars.
W 88 is eligible for many events including, now, the proposed new “historic category”, for selected post-war built cars, in the Vintage Sports Car Club (VSCC).
Historical and other Documents included with W 88
W 88 comes with a history file and many notes from the current owner including the following:-
The car is fully recognised and accepted by the HRG Association as a genuine ex- factory car with a full continuous history. A marque expert has recently looked over the car and verified its major components, chassis number, chassis plate and other identification numbers.
All H.R.Gs (both pre and post-war) are eligible to compete in the Class 2 (for pre-war production cars) in the MCC classic trials.
Post-war built H.R.G.s are eligible in historic rallying (ERA / HERO) in the pre-war category.
Eligible for the new class at the Vintage Sports Car Club (VSCC) “Historic Class” for selected post war cars by invitation. (New from 2021).
Spare Parts Available
A number of spares from the owner of W 88 are also available including:-
The wheels (some with tyres fitted) are located at the current owner’s address in the South West of England and can be collected from there.
It is strongly recommended that all tyres are properly checked and, if old, out of date or damaged, that they are replaced.
A full history of the marque, the company, the cars and the successes can be found in the book “The Sportsmans Ideal” by Ian Dussek. ISBN 10: 0956512402 or ISBN 13: 9780956512406
HRG Association website: www.hrgcars.com
Brief history of The H.R.G Engineering Co. Ltd and the H.R.G light car
Formed by the partnership of E A Halford, G H Robins and H R Godfrey, the H.R.G Engineering Co. Ltd was created in 1935 incorporating the initials of their surnames. H R (Ron) Godfrey was lead designer and was already well known in sports car circles for his involvement with Archie Frazer-Nash in the GN cycle cars of 1910 to 1922.
The first H.R.G car, the “1½ Litre” model, powered by the Meadows 4ED engine, was introduced to the motoring press at Brooklands race track in October 1935. The car was considered a bit of a “throw back” to the past, even for the mid to late 1930s. It mixed traditional hand-built construction techniques with updated tried and tested solutions from Godfrey’s experiences and executed them efficiently. With a particular focus on functionality and lightness (rather than styling) there was a high power to weight ratio from a modest engine. This also enabled higher gearing to be used for reliability. The car was marketed as having “three-fold performance” enabling an owner to use the car, unmodified, in both racing and off-road trials as well as everyday transport.
Moving into new factory premises in Tolworth in Surrey, car production started in early 1936 and the cars quickly gained a reputation for being very effective in competition and for the true enthusiast. An 1100cc model, powered by a modified Singer engine, was introduced in 1938. World War II naturally halted car production whereby just 35 cars had been produced. War work included making parts for Wellington bombers and other Air Ministry contracts.
Soon after WWII, H.R.G was one of few British sports car companies that were able to get back into manufacturing new cars and the post-war models were a continuation of the pre-war cars with the addition of the “Aerodynamic”. The cars were popular amongst sports car enthusiasts who wanted to acquire newly manufactured cars and to compete at that time. Being more than twice the price of contemporary MGs, they were not cheap and considered a high quality product.
The majority of H.R.Gs were used for competition and featured in the results at nearly all well-known events, especially on the continent, including at Le Mans, Spa and the Alpine Rallies. In addition, the cars competed at many hundreds of events in the UK including the first ever events at Silverstone, Goodwood and Prescott.
Just 241 cars in total were manufactured from 1935 to 1956. After car manufacturing ceased the Company continued to service and repair the cars and operated as an engineering firm, finally closing in 1966 when all the directors reached retirement. In 1960, the H.R.G Association (HRGA) was formed which inherited much of the intellectual property of the company. It is estimated that over 90% of the cars survive today.
More information can be found at www.hrgcars.com
Notable Events and Results in H.R.G cars in the period 1935 to 1956
H.R.G cars competed in virtually all of the principal motor sport events in Great Britain and Europe, especially in the immediate post war period. Some notable events, dates and results are listed below.
Brooklands – (many short scratch and handicap races), 1938 class winner 3 hr Sports Car Race.
Donington 12 hour Sports Car Race – 1937 - 4th overall
RAC Tourist Trophy – 1937, 1938 (Donington) & 1950 (Dundrod).
Le Mans 24 hour Race - class wins 1939 & 1949, 2nd in class 1937 & 1938.
Eifelrennen, Nurburgring – 1938 & 1939.
Gransden Lodge (the very first post war GB race meetings) – 1946 & 1947.
Chimay - Grand Prix des Frontieres, 1947 & 1948.
Montlhery - Paris 12 hour race – 1948.
Isle of Man - British Empire Trophy Manx Cup 1947, 1948, 1949 & 1950, team prize 1948.
Silverstone – first meetings in 1948 and 1949. Daily Express Trophy Production Sports Car Races Class wins 1949 & 1950, 2nd In Class 1949 & 1951, 6 hour Relay Races 1951, 52 & 53.
Spa-Francorchamps 24 hour Race - Coupe du Roi team prize 1948. Class win, Coupe de la Victoire, Coupe de Richard Seaman and Coupe du Roi team prize in 1949
Goodwood - First Members meeting in 1948, Members and Easter Meetings 1948 to 1955,
9 hour Races 1952, 1953 & 1955.
Autosport Production Sports Car Championship - 1956 3rd Overall (including class wins at Mallory Park, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and Goodwood).
Blandford – National Road Races (first circuit after WW2) 1949 2nd in Class and 1950 2nd in Class
Bridgehampton (USA) – 1949, 1950 & 1951, 3rd overall 1949.
Watkins Glen (USA) - 1949, 4th overall.
Sebring (USA) - 1950.
Jersey - International Road Race 1952
Crystal Palace - 1952 & 1953
Brands Hatch - Kent Cup Race – 1954
Oulton Park - British Empire Trophy – 1955 & 1956
Brooklands - 1937 JCC Brooklands Rally, 1st in Class.
Monte Carlo Rally – 1937.
Paris-Nice Trial - Class win 1938.
RAC Rally - Class wins 1939, 1951 & 1953, 2nd in Class 1937 & 1938.
Alpine Rally - Class wins, Coupes des Alpes 1948 & 1951. Team awards 1948. Several special stage awards.
Eastbourne Rally – 1951.
Paris-St Raphael Rally - Class win 1952, 2nd in Class 1951.
Speed Hill climbs and Sprints:
H.R.G cars competed and won many awards at speed events in Great Britain, especially in the immediate post war period. These included Shelsey Walsh, Prescott (including the first ever meeting in 1938), Bo’ness, Brighton, Great Auclum, Lewes and Blackwell amongst many others.
Reliability Trials and Production Car Trials:
H.R.G cars competed in many events in the late 1930s into the 40s and 50s. Over 200 awards in the three MCC Classic Trials (The Land’s End, Exeter and Edinburgh Trials) alone as well as several team and “triple” awards.
Call 07973 731508