Chassis Number: B130KT
Engine Number: A 5BL
Colour: Black over Cream
1937 Bentley 4 1/4 litre Park Ward Saloon
Originally despatched to Paddon Brothers of 60 Cheval Place, Brompton Road, London SW., on 28th July 1937, invoiced for £1293.10.00
Registered EGF 652 in 1937, on returning to the UK in 1979 this car was then allocated registration number NJ 202...
Black over Cream with brown leather upholstery, for the past 27 years this fine Bentley has lived as photographed here within these most elegant Elizabethan gardens, only used from time to time and sharing a stable with other desirable cars. Offered for sale only due to a house move after 45 years here.
In the present ownership since April 1996, this Bentley was purchased at British Car Auctions Blackbushe Classic Car Sale having been in the previous ownership for 11 years
CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO START A LARGER PHOTO SLIDE SHOW
At some point the engine was changed to A 5BL – a 4 1/4 litre engine very close to the original engine number of Y9BN, registered just over a month later in September 1937.
Bentley Drivers Club build sheets accompany the sale of this car, accounting for the original owner - a Mr F H M Kaye of Horsham, together with 11 other owners to date, including London dealers Jack Barclay in October 1948. This car then spent a certain amount of time in Northern Rhodesia from 1958 and 1960 - and returned to the UK in 1979 – Northern Rhodesia renamed in 1964 as Zambia.
Equipped with a really nice set of Marchal "Strilux" headlamps and side lights, this car drives quietly and performs and stops well, the last MoT being just prior to Covid in 2019. Only offered for sale due to impending house move after 45 years.
Please enquire. Viewing by appointment in Berkshire
DERBY BENTLEY GENERAL HISTORY
Following the acquisition by Rolls-Royce Motors in 1931, Bentley Motor Cars were then built as a luxury sporting motorcar at Derby, home of Rolls-Royce, hence the reference to pre-war ‘Derby’ Bentleys - forgoing the rugged outright sporting character which had become associated with the earlier Cricklewood-built cars of the vintage era up to the end of 1930 into 1931.
First fruits of the new acquisition were to be seen in 1933 with the introduction of the 3 1/2 litre model. These new ‘Derby’ Bentleys were marketed as “The Silent Sports Car”.
The 3 1/2 litre model was to all intents and purposes a sporting derivative of the then current 20/25 Rolls-Royce – even equipped with a rev counter - and was to enjoy considerable popularity, clad with a number of different styles and makes of coachwork until 1936, when, due to the introduction of the 25/30 Rolls-Royce, the Bentley model was then fitted with the same 25/30 engine and was to be known as the 4 1/4 litre Derby Bentley, continuing as before with a range of different coachwork offered.
The new 4 ¼ litre Bentley offered a considerable increase in power - and when fitted with light touring coachwork - was a formidable performer, very much in the earlier traditions.
Amongst the most popular styles of coachwork on the 4 1/4 litre chassis were the sporting owner-driver lightweight saloons – and certainly one of the most attractive being that of the renowned coachbuilder Park Ward.
The Park Ward 4 ¼ litre Bentley offered for sale here bears chassis number B130 KT, originally with engine number Y9BN, and replaced at some point with a closely related engine number A5BL, as originally allocated to chassis B89 KU, registered just over a month later in September 1937.
Delivered in 1937 to Paddon Brothers of Brompton Road, this car was originally registered EGF 652 but on returning to the UK in 1979 was allocated a new registration number NJ 202, which is registered to the car today. In the previous ownership the description states that the interior had been re-upholstered in the correct brown leather at some stage, and that discrete flashing indicators had been fitted, being a sensible addition for modern traffic conditions. Prior to 1996 the interior woodwork had been completely restored, and all instrumentation had been restored too.
Please call me on 07973 731508
Although we attempt to ensure accuracy of any statement or detail, the customer must make his or her own judgement in purchasing this car. The purchaser of the above car understands that he or she is purchasing a historic motor car with components that are up to 86 years old and sold as a collector item. There is no warranty given or implied due to the age of the car
Call 07973 731508